So with the bickering and BS going on between Conroy and Turnbul, i think it’s worth defining a couple of facts.
1. NBN will not only provider higher speed but clearer transmissions, meaning that the data coming down the line will be cleaner and will work much better with things like streaming media.
2. NBN will not cost much more then current ADSL 2+, in fact Internode are already offering “ADSL2+” over fibre at the same cost and plan allowances as thier standard ADSL2+ plans.
3. No extra equipment will be required in your house, all you need to do is plug the network link directly into your current router or wireless (a firewall is advised of course however).
4. The NBN is already half way there, since doing a deal with Telstra, some existing fibre will be used bringing the cost and time of completion down.
5. The NBN is what we have been needing for the last 10 years, with notable quotes from people like Bill Gates saying we are years behind the rest when it comes to data networks in Australia, NZ have been ahead of us in ADSL for years.
6. Data costs in Australia are extremely expsensive and make things like “Cloud” computing unfeasible. The NBN will go a long way to rectifying that.
It’s pretty clear that this is the case, and no matter what BS pollies want to spit out these facts cannot be refuted. It will be a good thing, it may cost a lot, maybe even more than it should but it’s long called for and we must bite the bullet at some point.
Following is a similar article from Gizmodo….
NBN “$400 Per Room” Installation Fee Is A Load Of Crap | Gizmodo Australia.